Venice on a Budget

Posted On // Leave a Comment
Venice on a Budget

Over the six weeks that I’ve been in Venice, I’ve completely fallen in love with this city on the water. Being on student’s budget, I skipped the gondola ride and looked instead for the hidden gems. Here are some tips for student travelers or anyone else looking for an off-the-beaten path stay in Venice:

Venice Music Project
Can you believe it? A baroque music concert played on replicas of original baroque instruments between two Tintoretto paintings in a small church for FIVE euros (with valid student ID). I highly highly recommend Venice Music Project and will definitely be back again the next time I’m in town.

Museum Pass
For students, you can get the Museum Pass for a mere 18 euros for 16 museums, including the Doges Palace. If you’re in Venice long enough to visit the Doges Palace plus two or three museums on the list, you’re getting a good discount. But if you want to be really thrifty, you should go to them all like I did. But check out the full rundown here if your time in Venice is in short supply.

Medical Museum / Ospedale
Some other museums—not on the museum pass—that are worth visiting include:

=> The Medical Museum: It’s small but so is the admission fee. The 5 euro admission fee (bring student ID for discount) gets you entrance into the gorgeous Scuola building. Besides admiring the beautiful interior, you can see snippets of old medical encyclopedias and relics of old medical tools. (Thank goodness for scientific progress.) If you’re interested in the history of medicine, this is a good bet. Plus, if you’re lucky, you might get a private tour of the hospital grounds which houses assorted pieces of artwork and sculptures through the ages.  

=> Naval Museum: The naval museum is another example of a small size and small admission fee exhibit. There are many old models of boats, including a life-sized gondola that once belonged to Peggy Guggenheim. 

Libreria Acqua Alta
This cool bookstore can’t be missed! But it can be hard to be found. Walking through Venice is like walking through a maze. You duck in one alleyway and follow a couple of turns. Then BAM! You come out the other side in a completely different neighborhood. And don’t even get me started on finding specific addresses. Close to impossible. I went out three different times looking for this bookstore to no avail. The fourth time, I went about on a stroll, looking to find a completely different store and the BAM. I pass right by here. It’s a unique place. The books on placed in tubs and on gondolas, in case of high water like the name suggests. And for good reason too. The back of the store goes straight to the canal. There is a lovely spot outback with a staircase made of books.

Souvenirs
Forget the cheap Venetian masks and fridge magnets. I think the best souvenir from Italy to bring back would be some authentic Italian pasta. You can buy them relatively inexpensively from the grocery stores and they often come in interesting shapes and colors. My personal favorite souvenir that I have from my six weeks in Venice though is an English-Italian copy of Merchant of Venice I bought from a Campo Santa Margherita bookstore for a mere one euro.

Get a library card
My biggest piece of advice to students studying abroad in Venice would be to get a library card. You’ll need your passport and a letter stating that you are participating in a study abroad program. It’s free and easy to obtain and it’ll give you access to the magnificent National Marciana Library (regular tourists aren’t allowed inside) as well as the Fondazione Querini Stampalia. Both these sites offer free wifi and quiet study spaces. 

Must Try Foods
So… the part you all have been waiting for. The must-try food list!
Though this isn’t exactly off the beaten path, my favorite pasta to-go place was Alfredo’s, about five minutes from St. Mark’s Square. It’s kind of tricky to find so bring a map! I recommend their Chicken Bolognese and their Pesto pastas. Meanwhile, just a block away from Alfredo’s is my favorite tiramisu place of all time at I Tre Mercanti. Their classic tiramisu can’t be beat. I wouldn’t consider myself a tiramisu fan but after I tried theirs, I was an instant convert. Fun fact: tiramisu literally means “pick me up”!

Venice is known for its fresh seafood. I’d definitely try black squid ink pasta. The inky mess might seem daunting, but it’s delicious! Look out for the words sepia or nero on the menu to find this dish. I’m also a fan of Spaghetti alla vongole (spaghetti with clams in a garlic butter sauce). I don’t have a particular place in mind and are willing to travel to Lido, I’d recommend Trattoria Andri and Trattoria Africa, which contrary to its name serves Italian—not African—food. While we’re on the subject of Lido, my favorite burger place of all time is now there. Try the El Pecador sandwich from the food truck (no food double decker bus) right by the public beach with the same name.

Now… time for dessert! Gelato has claimed my soul. (See extensive gelato ranking list post.) My favorite gelato place on Lido is called Magiche Voglie. Great portions, great price. Their place is always busy. My favorite gelato place in all of Venice is the San Stae Gelateria with its heavenly Ricotta with Honey and Sesame. But besides gelato and tiramisu, you have to go to Da Nico’s for some giandiutto, which is a block of frozen chocolate paired with tons and tons of whipped cream. It's so bad for you; but it tastes so good. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment