Venice for Students: Museum Pass!

Posted On // Leave a Comment

MUSEUM PASS (Only 18 euros for students!)

Doge’s Palace
Daily 9AM- 7PM
[San Marco]
Absolute MUST visit. The dungeons are cool to see. This is one place where I think a tour would have been incredibly useful to help bring the place to life. If I were to go back, I'd try to nab a spot on the Secret Itineraries Tour offered by the museum.

Museo Correr / Museo Archeologico Nazionale / Monumental Rooms of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana
[San Marco]
Daily 9AM – 7 PM
Go after your Doge's Palace visit. It's right across the piazza. 

Ca’ Rezzonico, Museum of 18th-Century Venice
Wed-Mon 10 AM -5 PM
[Ca’Rezzonico]
Highly recommended. Take time to visit the gallery on the topmost floor. Great collection of Renaissance art.

Museum of Palazzo Mocenigo
10 AM – 5 PM, closed on Mondays
[San Stae]
Lovely period costumes and perfume museum. There is an interactive exhibit where you can sniff different scents. If you have time, stay for the short film on the history of perfume in Venice. There's an English version if you wait long enough for it.

Carlo Goldoni’s House
10 AM – 5 PM, closed on Wednesdays
[San Toma]
This place is very small. There isn't a whole lot to see but it is interesting. I don't think it would have been worth the visit if I paid regular admission. But given the museum pass, it was a worthwhile albeit quick stop. 

Natural History Museum
10 AM – 6 PM, closed on Mondays
[San Stae]
I could sum up this museum in one word: creepy. It may have been just because I was the only person in this whole museum filled with taxidermy animal specimens. But somehow this just gave me weird vibes. I was even more disappointed by the advertised aquarium which turned out to be a small dingy fish tank in the damp smelly basement. The verdict? SKIP. Unless you're a big fan of dead animals stuck on a wall for your enjoyment. 

Ca’ Pesaro / Oriental Art Museum
[San Stae]
Tues-Sun 10 AM – 5 PM
There was a lot to see here. And admittedly I didn't even get to all the exhibits. I had time for all the modern art exhibits. There had a few Warhol pieces, etc. Next time I'm back I'd love to visit the other galleries including the Oriental Art Museum.

Glass Museum – Murano
10 AM – 5:30 PM Daily
This museum was fairly small-- and even under construction during my visit. It had a couple interesting glass pieces modeled after kids' sketches and it offered a fascinating look at the history and creation of Murano glass. But I would skip if you are not using the museum pass.

Lace Museum – Burano
Tues-Sun 10 AM – 6 PM
There were interesting lace pieces featured in this museum along with a long winded video on the history of lace in Venice. Also quite small, like the glass museum. There is a section where some ladies knit the lace so you can watch them as they work. Again, in my opinion, only worth the visit with the museum pass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment