Recipe: No-Ricer Gnocchi

Posted On // Leave a Comment
When I make my Curry Chicken and Potatoes, I always end up with a leftover bundle of potatoes.

This time, I endeavored to put those spuds to good use by making potato gnocchi. Most recipes called for a potato ricer to get the potato finely grated, but I used a fork and it worked just fine. The end result is delicious, but does take a lot of time and effort. So keep that in mind! 

After reading through many different gnocchi recipes and tweaking them for my own purposes, I came up with my own tried and true formula:

Ingredients:
  • Potatoes
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 1 cup of Flour
Approximately 1:1:4 ratio of egg:flour:potato.
In other words, one egg and one cup of flour for every 4 potatoes.

1. Boil for 20 minutes (or until tender) and peel potatoes. Then mash potatoes with a fork. 
2. Combined mashed potatoes with flour and 1 large egg. Knead into a ball of dough.
3. Form thin cords of dough and cut in 1/2 inch segments. Be aware that the gnocchi expands substantially upon cooking. 
4. Drop gnocchi into a pot of boiling water. Remove the gnocchi pieces as they rise to the top of the pot. 
5. Serve your gnocchi with a sauce of your choice!

Recommended sauces to pair with gnocchi:
  • Creamy Parmesan Spinach Sauce
  • Vodka Sauce
  • Mushroom Ragu
  • Browned Butter and Sage Sauce
  • Tomato Basil Sauce
  • Pesto Sauce

0 comments:

Post a Comment